Note: Important steps:
- Create an account on this system and login to that account.
- Fill out the form for the desired service.
- Pay for the service (USLA will not process the requested service until payment is made.)
Before you can access USLA's forms, you must create an account and log in to the system.
In order for your forms to process payment must be made to USLA via the website. Please select the following link to purchase services(You must be logged in to follow this link.):
Registering a Horse
In order to be defined as a Pure Blood Lusitano or PSL (Puro Sangue Lusitano) both parents must be
registered/inscribed with the APSL (Associação Portuguesa de Criadores do Cavalo Puro Sangue
Lusitano). Both parents must have a Adults Book (LA/LG A) number. If one or both parents do not have a
Adults Book (LA/LG A) number your horse is NOT able to be registered as a Pure Blood Lusitano. If you
Once you have obtained both sire and dam’s Adults Book (LA/LG A) number follow these steps.
1. In order to start the registration process, you must sign up for a USLA account.
This can be completed by clicking on the “Log In” button located on the top right of the
website. From there you can either login to your existing account or click “Don't Have an Account?” to
create a new account.
2. Once you are logged in all of the forms will be available under the Forms menu.
3. Complete the Horse Registration Form and submit to USLA.
When choosing a name for your horse, it cannot exceed 24 characters
including letters, signs, and spaces. The first letter of the name should correlate with the
year of birth (K, W, and Y cannot be used as the first letter of the name). For example: In
2021, names begin with the letter “R” and in 2022, names will begin with the letter “S”. If you submit a horse's name that does not start with the letter correlating with the year of birth it will be added to the front of the name, for example "A-Horses Name".
4. After submitting, a Horse Diagram Form PDF and DNA Hair Submission Form PDF and directions will be sent to the email on file. These forms are for your Vet to complete and sign before sending back them back to us at USLA, PO Box 300, Lincoln, MA 01773.
5. DNA parentage MUST be verified and the horse MUST have a microchip. You may supply your own
microchip (with approval) or they can be purchased through our online store. Microchips are not currently available to Canada.
6. Once USLA receives the completed Horse Diagram Form and DNA sample, DNA is then sent to the lab for parentage verification. Once parenatge verification has been completed all of these items are then forwarded to the APSL in Portugal.
7. Once the APSL has accepted and approved the forms a Birth Book (LN/LG N) will be assigned and
your horse will be inscribed/registered with the APSL.
8. You will receive your horse’s registration papers in the mail.
*Please keep in mind, all forms have to be sent to Portugal. The process can take a few
months to complete and receive your physical papers. We HIGHLY recommend starting this
process when horses are 6 months of age or younger. If you are getting your horse
registered/inscribed in order to be inspected this process must be started at least 8 months prior
or there is no guarantee paperwork will be completed in time for inspection*
DNA Parent Verification
In order to register a Lusitano for the first time with APSL, DNA profiles and parentage verification by UC
Davis and/or Alter Real Laboratory is required. DNA samples must be collected by your veterinarian and submitted with
the Horse Diagram form. Your vet is signing off that the horse on the diagram, is the horse the sample was collected from. USLA DOES NOT accept outside DNA reports, all new registrations will require DNA
testing through USLA. DNA profiles and parentage verification is done by pulling 20 to 30 mane or tail hairs with root
follicles intact. Detailed instructions will come with your test kit. It is very important to provide the correct name
and identity number of the horses parents, otherwise parentage will come back as “NOT qualified as an offspring from this
sire and dam” and registration cannot be completed. DO NOT SEND SAMPLES DIRECTLY TO UC DAVIS, veterinary signed DNA submission forms must be put on file with USLA before going to the lab.
APSL requires that all horses be uniquely identified with a 15 digit ISO 11784/11785 compliant microchip code. Microchips starting with the prefix 900 cannot be used because these chips could have duplicate numbers. Prior to registration, the microchip number must be read and verified by a veterinarian on the Horse Diagram Form. If your horse has a pre-existing microchip that is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant a new compliant microchip may need to be placed. Microchips may be purchased from the USLA online store or purchased independently as long as they are ISO 11784/11785 compliant. Microchips are not currently available to Canada through USLA.
Application for Inspection
Please make sure the following requirements have been met prior to applying for inspection.
1. Registered/inscribed with the APSL with Birth Book number (LN/LG N).
2. Must be 4 years of age or older. There are no exceptions to this rule.
3. Must be under saddle and able to be ridden at a walk, trot and canter.
4. Semen Report submitted to USLA. Semen reports are a simple document provided by a veterinarian that the horse can produce semen, with the motility counts from that collection. There is no standard format.
1. Registered/inscribed with the APSL with Birth Book number (LN/LG N).
2. Must be 3 years of age or older.
3. Able to be free lunged or lunged online at a walk, trot and canter.
*Geldings are not presented for inspection. Inspections are for the approval of breeding stock only.
After completing the Application for Inspection Form members will be contacted by a USLA
representative to finalize inspection dates. Breeders may choose to participate in an inspection event
with several breeders or host a private inspection arranged by USLA. When participating in an inspection
event, the judge fees and expenses will be divided amongst the breeders and prorated depending on
the number of horses per breeder. If the breeder chooses to host a private inspection, they will be
responsible for all of the judge fees and expenses. Dates for inspections are communicated through
USLA newsletters, on the website and on the Facebook events page.
Transfer of Ownership
Pure Bred Lusitanos with registration in the APSL Book of Births or Book of Adults must be registered to their new owners before they can compete, be graded, or have any young stock attributed to them. You can only change ownership from the previous registered owner to a new owner, in some cases this may take more than one document. Transfer of ownership must be sent to APSL and not delivered to the buyer/new owner. To begin the process of tranferring a horse from a current owner to new owner this form should be completed by the seller. After this form is submitted the buyer and seller will be sent an electronic document through DocHub by email to be signed to finalize the request.
Reduction of Breeding Stock
The Reduction of Breeding Stock allows APSL to update the breeding stock of each breeder. Breeder’s should complete the Reduction of Breeding Stock form when a breeding horse is no longer a part of their breeding program. The reasons may include Death, Castration, or Sale. In the event that a breeding horse has been sold please file the Transfer of Ownership Form.
Statement of Coverage
The Statement of Coverage is used by APSL to identify and track the mares and stallions bred, the type of breeding, and the percentage of fertility. The form is required to be submitted by breeders to USLA annually by the end of each calendar year.